Friday, August 16, 2013

Posted by Jon Dalton On 11:08 AM
    This is going to be a hard post to write.

In June, I wrote the Lab Trio blog post about one of my cross-stitching projects and our Labs, both current and past. One of those Labs mentioned in that post was Scudder, my old man at 16 years.

Now, I’m preparing to say goodbye to him (and getting teary-eyed as I write those words).


At 16, Scudder’s old for a big dog, and a few weeks ago, one of his hips finally gave out. Now, he was still eating well, could hobble along on three legs once we carried him outside and his eyes showed a lot of life. My wife and I decided that we would not put him through the rigors of surgery to correct the hip problem but knew our time with him was limited.

Over the past few days, his ability to move has worsened and he can no longer get up by himself. So, the time is nearing when I’ll have to say goodbye to my old friend. And these last few days with him, I’m going to relish the memories of our years together, some of which I’ll share in a later post.

Meanwhile, my heart is breaking, just as I knew it would, but I don’t want Scudder to suffer. So clear the path to the Rainbow Bridge because a very special dog is coming soon.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. (((BIG HUGS))) to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so sorry. Scudder has obviously been a well loved friend and companion. My heart is hurting for you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Warren. I still remember when he failed puppy college. love and hugs to you and Les. Karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. With leaky eyes I can honestly feel your pain. I did this in April,,my old man was 13. As much as we love them we do not let them suffer. Send Scudder to the Rainbow Bridge and I will have my Boots meet him as a forever friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so sorry Warren, it is the hardest thing a pet owner has to do. Remember all the love and good times you have had together.

    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so sorry. There usually aren't words to say to give you comfort. It truly is one of the hardest things to have to face, I feel. You had 16 wonderful years with him and he will have lots of playmates once he crosses Rainbow Bridge. Remember the good times. Warm thoughts to you and your wife. Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you warmth and hugs - it's a terrible thing to have to do, but the final most loving thing you can do for a friend. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is a horrible thing to suffer thru. A void left in the heart that is never ever filled again. But that is as it should be, because they should take a part of our hearts when they leave us, just as they've given us a part of theirs. Fair is fair. Prayers go out to you and yours...and I'll ask my Rufus Rafaelo (my dog-loving cat)to look Scudder up, while he waits for you at the bridge. Christina G

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, I'm so sorry. Sending gentle hugs and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete