Friday, July 5, 2013

Posted by Jon Dalton On 11:43 AM
Halloween on the Fourth of July

At least I’m getting closer to the right holiday, although I’ll never reach it completely.

Cross-stitchers who work on seasonal projects are usually way ahead of the general population, like freelance writers, who generally are writing articles for print magazines three or four months ahead of the calendar.

So, this year, instead of working on a Christmas project on the Fourth of July, I worked on a Halloween project. See what I mean? I moved two months closer to the actual holiday we were celebrating yesterday.

Working ahead like we do on seasonal projects is a must. For example, the project I’m working on, “Haunted House Welcome” from Stoney Creek is a large piece, and I know if I want it done for my wife who loves Halloween, I had to start way ahead of time. Thus, while many of you were thinking barbecue and fireworks, I’m looking at ghosts and witches and a haunted house.

At least I wasn’t playing Christmas music. Yes, I’ve been known to do that too.

So what about the rest of you stitchers? Any particular holiday stories you want to share? Leave a comment so we can all enjoy our particular stories.

And remember — have a safe and joyful weekend wherever you are (and watch out for turtles in the road). That’s what life at turtle speed is all about, doing whatever makes us happy.

5 comments:

  1. I have a tendency to work on projects as the need arises, in between the ones I'm doing for myself/home. Christmas ornaments are done year round though. Donna - ILCS - also soggy Lake Wales. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working on patriotic for a contest on the Yahoo group I own. I am jumping back to my Halloween and then mid week my snowmen they are actually my two favorite to stitch besides Lizzie Kate I'm addicted to those and WWS-White Willow Stitching they have Tribals of all kinds and I have workin on a BAP Cabana Club; Flamingos with sun glasses on with towels around their necks and one has a drink in his hand with an umbrella in it! Lol.
    Hope you had a great holiday!
    Kim-ILCS; Sisters_Stitching_Sharing_Life-group owner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to stitch Christmas starting in June. The people at my DD gym look at me funny when I pull out Christmas ornaments to work on during practice!
    Heidi-ILCS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping to see a WIP pic. I'm never ahead of the game when it comes to seasonal stitches. I just stitch whatever whenever, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stitch seasonally year-round because those are some of my favorite projects to work on. I am a serious sucker for Halloween and Christmas projects, or anything autumn or winter-related.

    --shaunterria--ca11i0pe.blogspot.com--

    ReplyDelete